Sunday, April 12, 2009

MY TEMPLE EXPERIENCE

For those who don't know how to read... It is "SUI YUAN JING SHE"

Main Hall of Sui Yuan Jing She



Second temple, "JUE LIN YUAN"...
Just 2 minutes of walking distance from Sui Yuan Jing She
(both Sui Yuan Jing She and Jue Lin Yuan are in Kampung Timah, Kampar, Perak)



Just came back from my grandmaster’s temple in Guan Yin Tang, Cheras. My grandmaster, Venerable Kai Wen had just passed away about 2 weeks plus ago. This morning, I woke up about 7.30am. For people like me, it’s considered very early. But for those staying in temple, it’s considered very late already. People might have past half of their day. Since then, my master went out with a few disciples for breakfast and packed back Bee Hoon soup for me. While waiting for my breakfast, I sat at the compound of the temple to read some book and have some self-chanting.



"Gong Zhu Tian"...
Buddhism style of "Pai Tian Gong"



The offering for deities



Suddenly, I think of a few answers for FAQ. People used to ask,

“Why do I like to go to temple?”
“What do I do in temple?”

Usually, I’ll answer “for fun” and “doing nothing”...
But it’s true. This morning, while sitting there alone listening to the birds chirping, my heart is filled with serenity (thanks to Jimmy Oon for the vocabulary... hehe...). Chanting while looking at the cars past by the highway. Don’t know why, I like those kinds of no binding rules. Feel Very sorry to Hui Er because I seldom join any Buddhist Fellowship activities. It is not that I’m not interested. Just that I don’t like to be tied-down by rules.



Buddha-bathing during Wesak Day



Buddhism is not something that can be forced upon. I also don’t like to go to big temple or temple with a lot of rules. True, rules are important. But I don’t like it because I can’t find the freedom I want. My master seldom requires me to follow all those kind of rules. I can eat together with him on the same table. Joke with him. Even share the same room with him although the room is specifically for monks. I don’t feel the master-disciple gap between us.


Children's Living Camp


Having Fun while learning about discipline


The participants


Their creativity


WATER TIME...


Wouldn't pass this station without getting wet... HEHEHE.....
(I'm the one who handle this station)


Almost the end...
Dancing session...


I’m not that interested in learning Buddhism when I first keep in touch with it. I feel chanting is boring. When we don’t force ourselves to learn something but we automatically interested to learn that thing, the thing that we learn will make us more interested in it. Make it simple. U may like to study history. But when we force you to take exam on that subject, you can’t get back the original interest towards that subject anymore. For me, Buddhism is something inner. Our inner understanding and practices is more important than our physical practices. This is how I learn about Buddhism. I think my master has practised the way Mahayana Buddhism should be. Be close to the people and preach in a non-forcible method. I’m close with him at the beginning because of enjoyment. Learning Buddhism will come after that in an indirect way.


AMITABHA...


Temporary Monk for 3 weeks plus...
Do learn a lot in chanting and using "Mu Yu"...
Relax my mind during that time...
It is a new experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment